One of the ways that I prepare food scraps for feeding my VermBins (VB’s). If you have a rubber maid tote bin you can do this but do it on a smaller size or else you will over feed. Preparing it this way I can “clean” out my freezer as almost all of this was freezer burnt food.
I call it “supercharged food” because: a) food has been frozen and will break down faster because freezing food breaks down the food wall structure and helps it to decompose faster…. and b) this allows bacteria to start forming on the food which allows the worms to start eating faster….also c) no chopping or dicing needed as you can leave the chunks bigger.
- Find a container to put torn up cardboard (CB) scraps in. as you can see these are fairly big chunks. This is two pizza boxes, so don’t fret about a little bit of dried cheese, grease, etc. Believe me the worms will still devour them.
- Next place frozen food still in the bags on top.
- Cover with a old towel or t-shirt
- Let sit for up to 3 days. Where you have it will determine how long it needs to set.
- Once thawed, empty all the bags on top of the CB. You will notice that the CB has soaked up some liquid. Using a fork, spoon or a garden trowel you can mix it all up together. At this point I will add crushed eggshells to the mixture and even some coffee grounds.
- Add the mixture to your worm bin and cover with dry shredded leaves, newspaper or cardboard. ALWAYS cover your food scraps especially if your bin is inside your house.
Happy Worm Farming !!