Making a raised bed from (failed) cinder block beds

Failure? Definitely not in my vocabulary ….lol

Since the wedge experiments didn’t perform like I wanted them to for producing castings I have now moved a lot of the blocks to create a new sectioned raised garden bed for growing pumpkins and watermelons and a dedicated bed for strawberries…

I first laid a double layer of cardboard on the ground… I then laid newspaper where the cinder blocks would be at… I am hoping this will create another layer of protection from weeds growing up in the beds themselves..

Next I started layering items I had on hand… rabbit manure, shredded leaves, coffee grounds and of course worm castings….each week I add more layers.. this week when I added my layers of rabbit manure and leaves I topped it off with a thin layer of straw..

As you can see from the pictures I have a ways to go to get these filled… I will be adding spent mushroom compost in a few weeks and then will top off with a layer of newspaper with straw and wood chips on top.

It doesn’t matter if the blocks are perfectly level as in time they will settle down and it is in my backyard so I don’t have to make anybody happy EXCEPT the plants ๐Ÿ™‚